Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Andrew's 5th Birthday

Today was Andrew's 5th birthday. We did the usual where we put balloons on his floor and put this awesome sign up! He's really into Star Wars and it was a lot of fun decorating and buying things for him.
I wanted Andrew to have fun today but because I had to work still, I decided to have some of his friends meet him at the park. I made these cupcakes for the kids that could come. The topper is a Darth Vader whistle that came with the party favors at Walmart. I got some black icing spray but it turned out more purple than black so put on your sunglasses before you look at them.Here are the party favors, bag and napkins that we got for the park. They have napkins in 3D now but you have to buy the glasses separately. I did NOT want to do that so no glasses, no 3D.Andrew got a Darth Maul action figure and a Darth Vader transformer Tie Fighter from his parents. I haven't taken a picture of what he got from the kids at the park but some other Star Wars toys, coloring books, punching bag balloons, water gun, just to name a few. He loved it all!Of course we had our pull aparts for breakfast, such a great meal!Julie found a balloon in her room this morning (she shares with Andrew)This was our walk to get the mail. Yes, Julie is wearing an "Apple Jacks" t-shirt. $4 at Walmart. I LOVE IT!I couldn't get them to both look at me at the same time.So this is what I got...Take it or leave it.Julie's starting to walk more...Not the best in the grass though but it's a start.She LOVES the outdoors!While outside we found this bumblebee. It was HUGE!So for Andrew's cake I decided to make the Death Star...I started with a cake mold borrowed from a good friend here. It's really an icecream cake mold. After I baked it, this is what I got...I figured, I could work with that since the Death Star has a hole in it too. So, instead of patching it, I went with it. Here is the dirty icing...I had some black gel die and added that to the frosting. I didn't have as much as I thought so I got a light color of gray. I had some black spray left from the cupcakes so I was going to use that...I didn't have much though.So after that didn't work I went to Smiths and found black frosting, no canned spray. I thought I could figure something out. I also found this silver sprinkles thing and thought that would work since the Death Star had all those sparkles on it and this is what I got...I thought it was pretty good, my first "theme" cake, was very proud of myself. Showed it to Andrew, had to tell him what it was and his reaction was "but the Death Star has a real hole through it". But, it's cake so who could be too disappointed right?Made a wish (wished for ALL of the Star Wars action figures) and blew out the candle. You can still see the smoke if you look close enough.Andrew wanted Cookies 'n Cream icecream, so that's what we used.A little messy but a LOT of fun!Afterward I asked Mark what he thought of the cake. He liked the taste but said it didn't really look like the Death Star. The real one had lines, not scattered like the sprinkles, but that's a lot of detail and so this looked great. I was crushed! I thought I was doing so well and I was so super excited! I know he didn't mean to hurt me by saying that but after all that work and my quick thinking, I thought it turned out AMAZING! I guess not being a Star Wars fan really hurt me in this one, I didn't know it was lines. Anyway, Julie LOVED it! She didn't get the black frosting like the rest of us but she did get icecream and some cake.She picked up her plate and licked it even!Such a messy girl but I'm glad everyone had fun and it's over. Until next year!

1 comment:

  1. Fun birthday! Lily has a Cheerios t-shirt I got for $1 at wal mart!

    ReplyDelete